PART I. JOB DETAILS
Position Title: Economics Co-op Student
Supervisors’ Title: Director
Salary: To be determined -- commensurate with skills and experience
Location: Downtown Toronto (Note: moving and living expenses are not provided)
Term: Four months beginning September 2018 with possibility of four-month extension
Application Deadline: Send résumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 31, 2018.
Candidates selected for interviews will be contacted directly.
PART II. POSITION SUMMARY
The incumbent will support the staff’s research on economic and fiscal issues and production of reports, as well as update and maintain the FAO’s databases and forecasting models.
PART III. PRINCIPAL RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide support to FAO staff research and report-writing activities including:
- Collecting and analyzing data; and
- Creating custom tabulations, charts and other visuals to display the analysis.
- Improve and utilize tools to extract, transform and import data from various sources to the FAO’s Eviews databases.
- Improve the design of the databases and their integration into forecasting models.
- Other duties as required.
PART IV. KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
• Understanding of economic concepts is required, and of government finances is an asset.
• The incumbent must be currently attending university in an economics or related program, with courses in statistics, information technology (programming) or other relevant fields. At minimum, candidates must be going into their third year of studies. Candidates with education or experience in both economics and programming are preferred.
• Strong understanding of Excel is required and some knowledge of EViews would be an asset.
• General programming knowledge (e.g. loops, if-statements, functions) is required. Understanding of Eviews’ programming language, VBA, Python and SQL is an asset.
• Must be able to independently problem solve, have sound judgement and interpersonal skills, can work in a flexible team environment and desire to learn new skills.
Please include a cover letter outlining why you are well suited for this position. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
The Financial Accountability Office of Ontario (FAO) supports the full inclusion of persons with disabilities as set out in the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, Ontario Human Rights Code, and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), 2005.