Part I. Job Details
Position Title: Economics Co-op student
Number of Positions: 1
Supervisors’ Title: Director
Salary: To be determined -- commensurate with skills and experience
Location: Downtown, Toronto (Note: moving and living expenses are not provided. All office staff are currently working from home due to COVID-19.)
Term: Four months beginning January 2022 with a possibility of a four-month extension
Application Deadline: Send résumé and cover letter to email@example.com by by October 5, 2021 at 11:59PM EST.
Candidates selected for interviews will be contacted directly.
Part II. Position Summary
The incumbent will support the staff’s research on economic and fiscal issues, production of reports, assess the Ontario budget and economic outlook and update and maintain the FAO’s databases and forecasting models.
Part III. Principal Responsibilities
- Provide support to FAO staff research and report-writing activities including:
- Collecting and analyzing data; and
- Creating custom tabulations, charts and other visuals to display the analysis.
- Improve and utilize tools to extract, transform and import data from various sources to the FAO’s Eviews and Excel databases.
- Improve the design of the databases and their integration into forecasting models.
- Other duties as required.
Part IV. Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Understanding of economic concepts is required, and of government finances is an asset.
- The incumbent must be currently attending university in an economics/finance or related program, with courses in statistics, information technology (programming) or other relevant fields. At minimum, candidates must be going into their third year of studies. Candidates with education or experience in economics/finance and programming are preferred.
- Strong understanding of Excel is required, experience with R Studio and EViews is preferred.
- General programming knowledge (e.g. loops, if-statements, functions) is required. Understanding of R, EViews programming language, VBA, Python and SQL is an asset.
- Must be able to independently problem solve, have sound judgement and interpersonal skills, can work in a flexible team environment and desire to learn new skills.
Please include a cover letter indicating the position you are interested in and outlining why you are well suited for this position. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
The Financial Accountability Office of Ontario (FAO) supports the full inclusion of persons with disabilities as set out in the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, Ontario Human Rights Code, and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), 2005.